May 13, 2020

Carbon monoxide is a naturally odorless and colorless gas that can get into your home in a variety of different ways. Exposure to any amount of carbon monoxide can lead to significant health problems. Let’s take a closer look at what you need to know about this gas so you can keep yourself and your family safe.

Carbon Monoxide Can Quickly Accumulate in Closed Spaces

You should never start a car before opening the garage door or attempt to use a gas grill indoors. It is also never a good idea to use a fireplace, a gas stove or a dryer unless the gas can be vented away from your property. Otherwise, carbon monoxide is likely to quickly accumulate and to spread throughout the house.

If you believe that carbon monoxide or other gasses are present in your home, call the folks at Hammack Service Company, Inc. in Richardson. We can perform indoor air quality tests to determine if there is a problem, and we may be able to take steps to remove polluted or dangerous air.

Smoking Indoors Can Increase the Risk of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

When you smoke a cigarette, it can release a variety of chemicals into the air. Those chemicals can easily be inhaled by anyone who is in your immediate vicinity or the vicinity of whoever is smoking in the house. In some cases, carbon monoxide and other chemicals that make up cigarette smoke can get into a property even if a person is smoking outdoors.

How to Protect Against Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

It may be possible to minimize the chances of carbon monoxide poisoning by installing detectors and by inspecting them on a regular basis. You may also want to inspect stoves, furnaces or anything else in your home that runs on gas.

At Hammack Service Company, Inc., our technicians can install a new heater, repair an air conditioner or install mini-split systems in your home. Contact us right now to speak with one of our friendly service team members!

company icon